August 18, 2008

New TF2 Models

If you have been keeping up with the updates for the Heavy class, then you no doubt already know about the new Arena game play type. Now, I don't really care about the new game play, as much as the new maps. One thing in particular that I'm really looking forward to is the new models that Valve shows in the maps screen shots.

For the longest time (and still now) I have wanted to make my own models. The biggest problem I'm having is just importing the models into game. No matter what I have tried, it just comes up with a giant ERROR. I dabble with different model types and programs every now and then, but to no prevail. I think one of these days, I'm just going to snap and spend all day working on the problem 'till I figure out a way to make it stop being so homo.

I have also been playing with the Spore Creature Creator. I played with it when it first came out, but just recently I have really been starting to get into it. It's pretty mind blowing all the different things that the programmers made. I had my hand in a few code projects, where me and some friends would get together (typically at a LAN party) and write a program. We would spend hours and hours bent over our keyboards, and would only come up with a crappy poker game or some other measly piece of code. When I sit down with spore, and see all of the things that are in the game, its amazing. Normally a game doesn't really phase me. When I've played other games (with a few acceptions), I've never really appreciated all the work the programmers did, but for some reason, I really noticed with Spore. Maybe I was just in a noticing mood, or maybe it was because I was making a walking potato and the game was encouraging it.

No comments: