August 22, 2008

Frets on Fire

I've known about this game for a while, but never bothered to download it and play it. Then, in a sleepy stupor, and in a sudden urge to live out my rock star fantasy, I directed my browser over to the site and downloaded it. The game is called Frets on Fire, and it's basically a Guitar Hero game for the computer. One thing that really rocks my socks is that instead of using a guitar (or a cheap plastic impersonator), you use your keyboard.

The way you use it is you hold your keyboard like you would with a guitar, with the F1-F5 keys in your left hand, and your right hand on the strum (enter) key (So your keyboard is upside down). It works better then I imagined, because I thought I would contract carpel tunnel after playing for a little while. Lucky, the game seems to sense that, so it only includes three songs with the game, all of which are indie (although there is a huge online community that are converting songs for this game).

All in all, if you don't mind looking like a tool, it's a fun game to play. And the indie songs aren't that bad. A couple of times I missed a note, but I think it was because my keys where sticking from rocking out too hard. Check it out, and if you beat any songs with +4 stars on amazing difficulty, don't worry about looking like a tool, because you already are one.

No comments: